Our Latest Donors:
Search by month
- Commission for Outdoor Performances - - BRIEF | OUTDOOR PERFORMANCE COMMISSIONS... - View entry
- Edinburgh Fringe Success - - This year the Lyric’s Secret Theatre... - View entry
- Theatre in the Square returns - - The Lyric will once again present captivating... - View entry
- Easter Weekend Closure - - The Lyric will be closed from Friday 18 April -... - View entry
- Spend some time in The Clink - - Our latest fundraising event offers a very... - View entry
- Winter shows announced - - There's cause to celebrate today as tickets... - View entry
- Secret Theatre receives Arts Council Exceptional Award - - We're thrilled to announce that Secret... - View entry
- Our Cafe is now open - - Come in and enjoy our simple and delicious menu... - View entry
- Christmas Opening Times - - The Lyric will be closed on Christmas Eve and... - View entry
- What everyone's talking about - - Since Secret Theatre opened one month ago it has... - View entry
- Sneak a peek - - Although we are sworn to secrecy on the show... - View entry
- Last chance - - Show 3 of Secret Theatre premieres on Oct... - View entry
- Family Fun Day - - To celebrate our involvement in the Family Arts... - View entry
- The Reuben Foundation Wing - - If you're wondering how the build of our new... - View entry
- Gala 2013 - - Last week we held an incredible event at the... - View entry
- New Year Donations - - Happy New Year from everyone at the Lyric. We... - View entry
- Give a Gift for Christmas - - With Cinderella just around the corner... - View entry
- Young People take Centre Stage - - The Lyric is unique in its dual commitment to... - View entry
- Help us Build our Future - - We are really excited to be launching our... - View entry
- Being Green - - Here at the Lyric, we are all about being green... - View entry
- Donation Thanks - - We are delighted to have raised almost... - View entry
Commission for Outdoor PerformancesPosted by Lyric, 27 November 2014
BRIEF | OUTDOOR PERFORMANCE COMMISSIONS
Do you have an exceptional idea for an outdoor theatre production? If so, this commissioning opportunity may be for you!
Lyric Hammersmith, Greenwich+Docklands International Festival, Watford Palace Theatre and Latitude Festival have come together to offer two exciting commissioning opportunities to theatre makers who want to create new work for outdoor spaces in 2015.
Over the last three years our organisations have collaborated on developing new small–scale outdoor performances. This year we are inviting artists to submit ambitious proposals for new mid-scale commissions for 2015. The commission size has increased to allow for increased scale, ambition and visually strong work.
Two newly commissioned works will tour to:
▪ Theatre in the Square (Lyric Hammersmith, Lyric Square)
▪ Greenwich+Docklands International Festival
▪ Watford Palace Theatre’s Imagine Watford Festival
▪ Latitude Festival.
We’ve previously commissioned work from companies including Tangled Feet, nabokov, Rash Dash, Curious Directive, Les Enfants Terribles and Light the Fuse.
For 2015 we’re particularly keen to see work with strong design content and visual presence/impact, which can engage with large and diverse audiences.
Deadline for applications: 5pm Monday 08 December
Interviews : Friday 19 December 10am-1pm
Selected commissioned artists and companies should be available to present their work on the following dates:
Theatre in the Square:
May-June 2015 (exact dates TBC) as part of Lyric Hammersmith’s Theatre in the Square season. Performances will be scheduled over two - three days. No more than three performances per day.
Greenwich+Docklands International Festival:
26 – 28 June 2015 as part of GDIF’s annual outdoor arts showcase. Performances will be scheduled on two days across these dates. No more than three performances per day.
Watford Palace Theatre’s Imagine Watford Festival:
2 July – 4 July as part Watford Palace’s Imagine Watford Festival. Performances will be scheduled on two days across these dates. No more than three performances per day.
16-19 July as part of Latitude Festival. Performances will be scheduled over the three festival days. No more than three performances per day.
Space & Audience
Theatre in the Square
Lyric Square is an urban space that is accessed and used by the public at all times. There will be no fixed, formal audience for performances. We can create performance areas, however this is a busy thoroughfare through Hammersmith with a target audience of local workers and residents during lunch time breaks and after work.
Greenwich+Docklands International Festival
GDIF is an established outdoor festival of free outdoor arts and spectacle. The two commissions would be presented in the context of GDIF’s annual outdoor arts showcase in Greenwich Town Centre over the weekend of 26 – 28 June which is attended by local and London-wide audiences as well as visiting professionals.
There are a variety of sites available including grass and hard standing, mostly located in heritage settings.
Imagine Watford is a festival of extraordinary outdoor moments. For two remarkable weeks Watford town centre is transformed by incredible world class performance. Watford High Street is an urban space that is accessed and used by the public at all times.
Latitude, a multi-genre arts festival with sixteen different stages and an audience of 35,000 people, is set in the beautiful surroundings of Henham Park, Suffolk. Spaces include the Indoor Theatre Arena, Outdoor Theatre in the Faraway Forest, open grass in Pandora’s Playground and the open air Waterfront Stage on the lake.
Guidelines on production contexts
The commissions need to be suited to a wide range of OUTDOOR spaces for audiences who will be both transient and fixed throughout performances as part of overall festival activity:
▪ Strong design and visual impact staging is key and we encourage applications with this focus
▪ We are not looking for performances of formal plays or shows that are text based
▪ Performances should be ‘theatre for all ages’ – this does not mean that they have to be for children but they must be as accessible as possible to diverse audiences
▪ All performances should be created for daytime presentation (ie without lighting)
▪ Performances should be able to be installed and struck on the same day
▪ It is proposed that an optimum length for a performance based piece of work should be no more than 30 minutes
Budget and Fee
Each of the two successful artists/companies will receive a fee of £12,000 for the delivery of the commission and performances. This is an inclusive fee that should cover any commission costs, artistic costs for rehearsals and performing, physical production costs, stage management costs and personal travel costs (except for Latitude).
We will support companies to apply for further funding from other sources.
The following will be provided at all Festivals:
▪ Technical Transport for set items between the festivals
▪ A production team to manage the get-in and get-out at each festival
▪ Additional production, technical and wardrobe support may be available subject to availability and separate negotiation
The following will be provided for Latitude Festival:
▪ Latitude Tickets to the festival for the company
▪ Company meal vouchers for each performance day at Latitude Festival
▪ Coach style transportation from the Lyric Hammersmith to and from Latitude Festival
If you would like your project to be considered please email Nathan Curry (Associate Director Greenwich+Docklands International Festival) email@example.com by 5pm Monday 08 December with a creative Proposal stating your idea and explaining how it has been devised for outdoor spaces. This should be no more than 2 sides of A4 (Please note that proposals that are longer than 2 sides of A4 will not be considered)
Included within the 2 sides of A4 should be:
- An expenditure budget demonstrating that you can create and deliver your idea with a commissioning fee of £12,000
- A short biography for you/your company We expect to be able to confirm the four commissions in January 2015.